GRAND Circuit winner Tiger Tara has been crowned New South Wales Horse of the Year.
While the former Kiwi’s efforts last season have been fabulous, he still had to ward off a field of stars including several stablemates and last season’s Miracle Mile winner My Field Marshal to be announced the winner at a glittering Arthur J. Gallagher Harness Racing NSW Awards Night at the Sofitel Hotel in Sydney on Saturday night.
Having received 66 per cent of the votes to be given this honour, Tiger Tara had a stellar 2017/18 season competing in Australasia’s most prestigious races.
Listed below are all the award winners, which were presented in front of a large crowd.
HORSE OF THE YEAR AWARDS:
- Arthur J. Gallagher NSW Horse of the Year: Tiger Tara
- Cockburn & Co NSW Two-Year-Old of the Year: Miss Halfpenny
- Cockburn & Co NSW Two-Year-Old Colt/Gelding Pacer of the Year: Muscle Factory
- Cockburn & Co NSW Two-Year-Old Filly Pacer of the Year: Miss Halfpenny
- Stablecraft NSW Two-Year-Old Trotter of the Year: Caligula
- KS Black & Co NSW Three-Year-Old of the Year: Ignatius
- KS Black & Co NSW Three-Year-Old Colt/Gelding Pacer of the Year: Ignatius
- KS Black & Co NSW Three-Year-Old Filly Pacer of the Year: Art Series
- IntelliTek NSW 3YO Trotter of the Year: Drop The Hammer
- Club Menangle NSW Aged Horse of the Year: Tiger Tara
- Club Menangle NSW Aged Entire/Gelding Pacer of the Year: Tiger Tara
- Club Menangle NSW Aged Mare Pacer of the Year: My Rona Gold
- Bulli HRC NSW Aged Trotter of the Year: War Dan Destroyer
- Ladex Construction NSW Broodmare of the Year: Miss Brazillian
- Ladex Construction NSW Sire of the Year: For A Reason
- TAB Kevin Newman Award For Driving Excellence: Anthony Winnell
- Daily Form Service Junior Trainer Encouragement Award: Melanie Elder
- Lexus of Parramatta Junior Driver Encouragement Award: Madi Young
- KARI Foundation Indigenous Participant of the Year: Royce Gregory-Jack
- Garrards Horse & Hound NSW Leading Hobbyist Driver: Anthony Adams
- Garrards Horse & Hound NSW Leading Hobbyist Trainer: Brett Woodhouse
- Garrards Horse & Hound NSW Leading Trotting Trainer and Driver: Blake Fitzpatrick
- Garrards Horse & Hound NSW Champion Junior Driver: Chris Geary
- Garrards Horse & Hound NSW Champion Driver: Todd McCarthy
- Garrards Horse & Hound NSW Champion Trainer: KerryAnn Turner
- Harness Breeders NSW – NSW Breeder of the Year: Colin and Cheryl McDowell
- Outstanding contribution to the Breeding Industry: Andrew Daniels
- NSW Owners Association NSW Owner of the Year: Brett Woodhouse, Sally Woodhouse, Shane Felke
- Lexus of Parramatta Club Menangle First Lady Award: Emma Stewart
- Lexus of Parramatta Club Menangle Metropolitan Driver: Todd McCarthy
- Lexus of Parramatta Club Menangle Metropolitan Trainer: Shane and Lauren Tritton
DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARDS
- HRNSW Don Clough Award: Ray Mawhood and John Brien
- HRNSW Industry Contribution Award: Jim Bell
- HRNSW Club Volunteer Awards: Arthur Yates (Tamworth HRC), Gary Punch (Leeton HRC), Pauline Read (Bankstown HRC), Peter Dennis (Coolamon HRC), Peter Muller (Bathurst HRC), Wendy Dennis (Coolamon HRC).
TABCORP CLUB AWARDS
- Best Community Engagement Club: Broken Hill HRC
- Best Fraternity Engagement Club: Coolamon HRC
- Best New Innovation Club (Promotion/Marketing): Tamworth HRC
- Best Club with a feature race to a maximum of $50,000: Eugowra HRC
- Best Club with a feature race to a maximum of $25,000: Albury HRC
- Best Club with a feature to race to a maximum of $14,000: Leeton HRC
- Best Club with a feature to a maximum of $12,000: Cowra HRC.